Alfa Auto Insurance ReviewSunday, 15 December 2013 19:34
The Alabama Farmers Federation offers auto insurance and several other insurance products to both farmers and regular consumers in 12 states. It is a financially stable company with a large customer base and an established history of financial success. The auto insurance coverage options offered by Alfa are diverse, and there is a large range of other insurance products offered as well. There are also many discounts that residents of Alabama and other Alfa insurance states may be eligible for, however the company has been the subject of multiple negative reviews regarding customer service issues.
Company Background Information
Alfa auto insurance is sold through the Alabama Farmers Federation which was founded in 1921 to meet the insurance and financial service needs of Alabama state farmers. The Alabama Farmers Federation is the largest farm organization in the state of Alabama and has over 400,000 members. Alfa Insurance Companies was launched in 1946 as a subsidiary of the Alabama Farmers Federation and started offering fire insurance to farmers. At the moment the company offers insurance in 12 states and has a customer base of over 1 million. A.M. Best has rated Alfa Insurance Group with an A rating which was recently downgraded from an A+ rating, but still signifies that the company has a strong financial outlook.
Pros of Alfa Auto Insurance
- May offer unique discounts to Alabama farmers and state residents
- Offers several other coverage options
Cons of Alfa Auto Insurance
- Several negative customer reviews
- Not available in every state
Alfa offers several different discounts for its auto insurance products including the following discounts that vary by state:
- Air bag discount – for vehicles equipped with modern air bags
- Youthful operator discount – Several discounts are offered for young drivers to save money on their car insurance including the following:
- Young drivers who take a vehicle accident prevention course are eligible for up to a 5% discount on their premiums
- Driving training discounts are available for drivers aged 16 to 20 who have taken a certified drivers education course
- Honor students receive a discount if they are aged 16-24 and with proof
- Home ownership discount – for customers who own a home
- Life insurance discount – for customers who purchase a life insurance plan with Alfa
- Combo discount – for purchasing both home and auto insurance
- Defensive driver discount – up to 5% off premiums for drivers who taken an approved defensive driving course
- Multiple vehicle discount – for adding more than one vehicle with Alfa
- Anti-theft device discount – for installing anti-theft devices
Types of Insurance Offered
Alfa sells life, home, farm, business, dental and health insurance on its website. For auto coverage it sells liability insurance for both bodily injury and property damage, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, medical payments, collision and comprehensive.
The website is well designed and modern and has many of the features that current and interested customers would need. An agent can be found with a location search box, and current customers can report their claims online. There is also the Alfa2Go app which can be downloaded to a smartphone and used to access policies, pay bills and even for claims filing.
Customer reviews of the company online are largely negative, with reports of rate increases, problems with customer service, and other claims related issues.
Alfa auto insurance might be worth a consideration for drivers in one of the states where it sells insurance, especially for those who might need multiple coverage options. But, the several negative reviews of its customer service should be taken into consideration. If you are shopping for auto coverage now you can get rates from several different providers by entering your zip code in the form on this webpage.
Compare Quotes and Save Hundreds a Year on Car Insurance
The easiest way to make sure that you are getting the best rates is to ask for quotes from different insurance companies. Get started comparing quotes now!
|AM Best Score||A|
|JD Power Rating||N/A|
Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia