Hastings Auto Insurance ReviewSunday, 15 December 2013 02:30
Hastings auto insurance is sold by Hasting Mutual Insurance Company, an established mid-sized insurance company that was founded in Michigan to offer tornado coverage and later expanded to five other states and began offering personal, business and farm insurance. It is a financially sound company which recently was downgraded due to financial losses related to storm damage. The company has a long and detailed financial history but there is relatively little information about its auto insurance products online, and interested customers must speak to an agent to get a quote.
Company Background Information
Hastings Mutual Insurance Company offers Hastings auto insurance and the company was founded in 1885 by Daniel Webster Rogers as the Michigan Mutual Tornado, Cyclone and Windstorm company. The company was founded after tornadoes did over $200,000 worth of property damage in the community of Hastings, Michigan and legislation was passed that allowed for the formation of tornado insurance companies in the state. The company grew quickly and in 1908 it had over 40,000 policyholders. The company remained profitable even throughout the Great Depression.
At the moment Hastings Mutual sells insurance in six states and has over 400 employees. The company sells its insurance through a network of over 700 agencies. It sells personal, business and farm insurance products in its state markets. It was recently downgraded from an “A+” rating to an “A” (Excellent) rating, and the credit rating was also downgraded from “a+” to “a-“ due to significant storm related losses in its territories. The outlook for the company was revised from stable to negative.
Pros of Hastings Auto Insurance
- A financially secure insurance company
- Some unique auto coverage benefits
- Wide range of coverage options
Cons of Hastings Auto Insurance
- Only available in six states
- Lack of information on customer service
- Quotes cannot be obtained from the company website
Hastings does not offer much information about the discounts offered for its auto insurance products. Customer would most likely need to contact an agent to get more information on discounts.
Types of Insurance Offered
Hastings sells a wide range of different insurance options. For personal insurance it sells auto, homeowners, rental, manufactured home, RV, and umbrella insurance.
Hastings sells the standard auto insurance coverage options such as liability, property damage, comprehensive and collision coverage as well as supplementary coverage:
- Travel interruption coverage offers expensive relief for travel interruptions
- Roadside assistance covers flat tire repair, lockout service, concierge service, first aid, dead battery, and emergency fluid delivery
- New vehicle replacement coverage replaces the full cost of a new vehicle if it is totaled in the first year
- Loan/lease coverage covers extra financial penalties on totaled vehicles
- Pet coverage pays for veterinary bills for pets injured in an accident, and a pet accident death benefit of $250 is also available
- GPS theft coverage reimburses up to $250 for the cost of a stolen GPS system
The website does not offer much information on discounts and the main insurance products that are offered, but it does go into detail on supplementary coverage options.
There is a lack of information on the quality of Hasting’s auto insurance customer service from customers or third party review organizations.
Hastings auto insurance can be worthwhile for its current customers, as there are some unique coverage options that may be offered at a reduced rate for current customers. New customers cannot receive a quote directly from the company website, and with the lack of information about the company’s auto insurance, may be better off looking at other providers for quality auto coverage. If you happen to be searching for auto coverage now, you can get rates from several providers by entering your zip code on this page.