Harleysville Auto Insurance ReviewSunday, 15 December 2013 02:43
Harleysville auto insurance is offered through Harleysville Group Inc, a company that primarily sells commercial insurance. The company is owned by Nationwide and has local offices in 27 states. It offers several different commercial and personal insurance products and made a switch to focusing on commercial insurance over 50 years ago. Harleysville offers a wide range of discounts and supplementary coverage options and is known for its strong financial stability. There is little information regarding the quality of its auto insurance customer support online.
Company Background Information
Harleysville Group sells Harleysville branded auto insurance and was founded in 1912 in Harleysville, Pennsylvania. It mainly writes commercial insurance products, and commercial insurance represents 80% of the company’s business. The company was founded by Alvin C. Alderfer to insure vehicle owners against theft and was chartered in 1917 under the name Mutual Auto Theft Insurance Company. It began writing more commercial insurance in the mid-1960s, and went public in 1982.
Harleysville merged with Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company in May of 2012, although Harleysville still operates almost completely independently from Nationwide. The company was rated A+ in the most recent A.M. Best survey for its strong financial stability and consistent performance over time. It currently has over 1,700 employees with revenues approaching $1 billion.
Pros of Harleysville Auto Insurance
- A financially stable insurance company
- Owned by one of the largest auto insurance companies in the U.S.
Cons of Harleysville Auto Insurance
- Not primarily an auto insurance company
- Quotes cannot be pulled from the website
Harleysville offers a surprising number of discounts considering the fact that it is not primarily an auto insurance company:
- Accident forgiveness for customers who have been with them for at least six years
- Discounts for driving for a period of years without an accident
- Multiple vehicle discounts of up to 25 percent
- Anti-theft discount which can save up to 15 percent
- Passive restraint discounts for airbags and passive seatbelts
- Anti-lock brake discount of 5 percent
- Driver training discount for young drivers who finish an approved course
- Adult driver improvement discount for adult drivers who complete an approved course
- Good student discount and student away from home discount
Discounts vary based on the state.
Types of Insurance Offered
The company offers standard liability, comprehensive, collision, and property damage coverage options. On top of the standard products, the company also offers:
- Coverage for electronic equipment that has been installed in a vehicle
- GAP coverage to cover the difference on a loan or lease amount due and the value of a vehicle if it is totaled
- Customized vehicle coverage
- New vehicle replacement coverage which replaces the car up to its full initial value. (This coverage is good for up to five years)
- Towing and labor reimbursement coverage
- Transportation reimbursement coverage
The Harleysville website has a good amount of information on its auto insurance products, and it is well designed. The main downside of the website is that customers cannot retrieve a quote for auto insurance directly on the site; they have to contact an agent to get a quote.
We could not find customer reviews of Harleysville auto insurance online, most likely due to the fact that auto insurance is not one of the company's main products.
Harleysville auto insurance may be a good choice for those who have purchased other Harleysville insurance products, and the company does offer a large range of discounts that may make their auto insurance affordable. If you are interested in getting a quote from several insurance companies now without having to speak to an agent, you can enter your zip code on this page and you will be taken to real time insurance quotes immediately.
Compare Quotes and Save Hundreds a Year on Car Insurance
The easiest way to make sure that you are getting the best rates is to ask for quotes from different insurance companies. Get started comparing quotes now!